Monday, November 17, 2008

Plato, art and philosphy

Thought for the day: Plato often times promoted the discussion of philosophy and art, debating which was closest to truth. The discussion continues to this day among scholars with no clear answer.

I have an opinion on the matter that I would like to offer. Understanding of course, that in comparison to Plato, the great scholar, I possess the intelligence of a lab monkey! Nonetheless- you know what they say about opinions!!

Here it is- to continue this debate, both sides will do their best to prove superiority, which, in turn weakens and degrades the other discipline. This debate will (undoubtedly) continue without resolution, but why?

Why does one have to be superior? Why can't we love both? Why can't artists also be philosophers? I guess in a sports crazed world people need to know who can run fastest and jump highest, but does that kind of discussion have a place in the arts?

Peace out,
the lab monkey

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe Artist's to be the prophets of today.

Think about this...the highest paid members of our society are persons who are good at estimating speed, distance, angles, and directions.

You have got to be kidding me...

Bread and circuses my friends...bread and circuses!