Sunday, November 23, 2008

Metropolitan Museum

I've been in New York for the last few days. I just love the city- love it. I had a pretty busy schedule, so I didn't have time to do a whole lot. I would have liked to have met up with a few friends and to have had time for coffee with Antonella (artist website review on previous entry). I did spend some time in China Town (which I love) and had time to hang out with friends Beth and Susan. They are both so upbeat and good natured - it's important to surround yourself with people who have positive energy. They made me laugh quite a bit- it was a good time.

On Friday I visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art and saw the Art and Love in the Renaissance exhibit. I'll sum it up in one word: disappointing.

The Renaissance had so much passion. Love is a prevailing theme in both art and literature, but this exhibition featured too many paintings about sex and physical relationships. It misses the mark. Perhaps to appeal to a broader audience? Alright, so perhaps in the presence of true love, a sexual relationship can grow into Divine Love, but this exhibit didn't present it in that manner. I thought it cheapened the passion behind the art of the Renaissance.

I still had a great time in New York, and how can you not love the Met?

No comments: