Thursday, November 13, 2008

Architecture

I know everyone is all geeked out about Dubai, but I just don't get it. It looks like the setting for a new Star Wars film. So, do our futuristic movies actually influence our future designs and styles? If that's the case, are we regressing when we should be progressing? Funny- self fulfilled prophecy for designers and architects.

So, speaking of architecture, my favorite architect is Frank Gehry. I expect him to be the new alpha dog in the history books. Frank Lloyd Wright was fantastic, but Gehry appears to have done the impossible with his designs. I'm still a fan of Wright- love the Guggenheim in NYC and love to make the drive to Falling Water every fall (hour and a half from Pittsburgh and a must see). Gehry has an exciting energy to his buildings- they are bold and fluid allowing function to follow form.

Whether it's art, fashion, music even personality, it all comes down to the right kind of energy.

No comments: