Monday, March 9, 2009

The Factory

Monday night- I finally have a chance to watch the movie "Factory Girl" (watching at the moment). I know, I know... not another movie about Warhol's factory, but this one is more about the life of Edie Sedgwick than the Factory. How awesome was the factory though? For those of you who may not be familiar, The Factory was Warhol's art studio, located in Midtown, Manhattan.

The Factory, also called the Silver Factory (after he covered the walls with aluminum foil and silver paint) was far more than a studio. It became the place to be. Not only would Warhol be using the space for painting, screen printing and filming, but it also became a meeting place for famous artists and musicians such as Mick Jagger, Salvador Dali, Jim Morrison, Bob Dylan, Lou Reed, etc. There was also drugs, sex, live music and groundbreaking parties- it was the 60's afterall.

The more of this movie I watch, the less I like it. It is becoming a graphic depiction of Edie Sedgwick's drug addiction. It is now reminding me of the movie "Sid and Nancy" when the drug scenes became downright disgusting.

Okay, so yet another lousy film about Warhol's Factory. Maybe that's why there's so many films- there hasn't been a good one yet! ARGGG. Anyway, how awesome it would be to rent a building, turn it into your art studio while also making it into a place for artists and musicians to come together. I would love to have a place open for all of you to visit, see the new art in progress, watch a band, listen to a great dj, etc., etc. Ah! That would be great.

Okay, gotta run, I just spilled a glass of wine on my new carpet!!!! Seriously- a month old!

Thanks again for all of these wonderful comments you are all leaving, I am just floored by your kindness. Thanks for visiting and participating.

Ciao!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed: there really needs to be a good movie about Warhol. Props to Guy Pearce for his portrayal of Andy in this movie *** Def the best impersonation I've seen so far.

Having a studio hangout would be sooo cool, but would you get any work done? I can't do art with people watching.

Anonymous said...

Really that bad ? I was looking forward to seeing it, but now my expectations have been severely lowered. For which I thank you as high expectations are often not met.

Anonymous said...

movie was good, but after the drug addiction started it did take a nose dive. i understand the critique. bowie did decent job playing warhol in the movie 'basquiat'. that's a great movie.

Anonymous said...

Basquiat was a great movie. I don't like his art, but I loved that movie.

Anonymous said...

the story of edie segwick is so sad. i thought that was a depressing movie.

Anonymous said...

Bruno, I would still watch the movie. I liked it. It is a little sad to watch her fall from grace, but that is what happened, it's her story.

Mimzie said...

Hola! I didn't see this movie, guess I am not gonna since the consensus is that it sucks! LOL! I never really understood what drives people to live like addicts. It makes no sense. However, a hangout place would be a very cool thing. Forget the mud, guess were gonna bring in the bricks to made Jimmy a studio hangout. Tuesday is almost over, thank goodness!

Anonymous said...

Alright mimz SCREW the mud wrestling and the jello wrestling...now were onto the bricks...does anyone have bricks???does anyone know any brick layers??? i know someone a lil blond rocker (LBR) who flips houses...i know she's ready to get her hands dirty...AND we have 2 nurses if someone gets hurt...idk maybe someone like jim...forget that we'll just have him there for inspiration...Jim sorry you were disappointed with the movie i guess i won't be watching either...so this is spitfire signing off.

Anonymous said...

Hey LBR popping in. Studio sounds AWESOME! Jim I am offering my services for this project. I'm very good with my hands and have a lot of experience. Soooo when do we get started???

Anonymous said...

WeLcOmE back Frost....Nice 2 hear from you again...Hmmm..Lbr sooo nice of you 2 offer ur services...Jim I have seen her work..YOU should definitely take her up on her OFFER...who knows her better than HER Bif...Looking forward to ur next blog....