Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Keith Haring: The Authorized Biography

I am currently reading Keith Haring: The Authorized Biography. It gives great insight into his development of an artist, including the time he spent in Pittsburgh. He came to Pittsburgh to study at the Ivy School of Art (which no longer exists). In the book he tells about the time he spent in the Carnegie Museum, living in Oakland and hanging out on the University of Pittsburgh campus.

He tells all about his part time jobs and how he spent a great deal of time at the Pittsburgh Center for the Arts. Here is where he learned print making and consequently, this is where he had his first solo show- right here in Pittsburgh.

As I was reading about his affection for Pittsburgh and how much he enjoyed the time spent at the Pittsburgh Center for the Arts, I was just waiting to stumble across the name of my college mentor, Martha Fairchild. She taught Haring printmaking. I remember she had one of his original radiant baby prints framed in her office. It had a personalized autograph on it beginning with 'To Martha".

Martha had a very strong influence on me at a time when I was discovering the meaning of art. I learned a great deal from her about the true nature and spirituality of the creative process. I will always remember her saying "Believe in your Art".

Martha unexpectedly passed away in 2004. I was honored to have my art exhibited with hers in an exhibition in 2005 based on the connection between an artist and mentor, although I just considered the exhibition to be a tribute to her.

So, now you've heard my story about Keith Haring and Martha Fairchild.

Have a great night.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to that opening- it was a great show, so many people were there I had to wait to get inside. That was an art show to be proud of. Martha would have been very touched.

-GB

Anonymous said...

Every artist has a story behind their art. Your story continues to be revealed through this blog. You speak of your relationship with your mentor in such a sweet way. That's a better story to tell than the one about Haring.

You are a very special person with a kind heart.

Anonymous said...

that is coolio. spread the love, my brother. i didn't know haring lived in pittsburg before his new york days. that was a good read.

Anonymous said...

I love how you talked about your mentor. Too bad more men don't show a sensitive side. It's very sexy.

Mimzie said...

Nicely put Madison. Jimmy does have a sensitive side and it is VERY sexy! Keep up the great work with your art and the blog. Somehow, someway we will get you famous and recognized. I promise! Where are my 2 accomplices at? Spitfire and LBR.....Also, thank you Dr.Rob. I am glad you finally have checked in.

Anonymous said...

HeRe We R!!!WhErE HaVe U BeEn MiMz???LOL...We NEED 2 get the PaRtY started again!!!HaHa...UR right..WE will Get Jim FaMoUs AND recognized someday!! We also want to thank-you Dr.Rob for answering r page..lol....

Anonymous said...

So fuzzy warm, I just want to cuddle!! :)

If only I had a sensitive, cool, handsome artist to cuddle with... sigh.

Good night all.

Micaela said...

A girl after my own heart!