Thursday, March 12, 2009

Chuck Connolly

All of the studio suggestions are great from décor to atmosphere, thanks for all the great input and keep the suggestions coming.

All this talk about Warhol had me thinking about Chuck Connolly. In the 80’s Connolly was selling millions of dollars worth of art, was considered a great up and coming painter who was realizing success in the New York scene and could be seen partying with people such as David Bowie and Jean-Michel Basquiat.

Martin Scorcese did a film that was based on Connolly called Life Lessons. This was one of three shorts in a film created by three directors (Scorcese, Coppolla and Allen) titled New York Stories. Apparently Connolly trashed Scorcese after the film was released and fell out of favor with the Hollywood crowd. I understood Scorcese to be a fan and collector of Connelly’s work too. Connolly’s explosive personality may have burnt more bridges beyond the Scorcese alliance because his career came to a halt at that time and was blamed on his volatile personality.

HBO recently did a documentary film on him called The Art of Failure. I saw that last summer after it debuted. It’s sad to see him struggling with his art career now. Here’s a guy who used to have very successful and highly profitable exhibitions in major New York City galleries but has fallen out of favor with the art scene. He has great passion for his art, but was doing a lot of screaming, swearing and drinking throughout the documentary. I think Connolly has become his own worst enemy.

So which is better, to be like me and not know what that kind of success feels like or to be like Chuck, to have had it and lost it? That thought reminds me of Hemingway: For Whom the Bell Tolls.

I do wish Mr. Connolly luck. I’m sure he would never read my blog, but if he did, I would want him to know that I at least tried to buy one of his paintings. Unfortunately I was outbid.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

good question- to be or not to be (a success). i think i would at least like to experience it, the fame, the glory. it would be hard to lose it too. i think i would want to try it out, even if i knew i would lose it one day.

i have to find a copy of these movies. thanks for the info.

Anonymous said...

I saw the HBO documentary,it was really good. He drinks too much, he has a bad temper, he's out of control. I think he's losing his mind. It's a hell of a story.

Watching him and seeing his demise, I think it might be better not to have your career taken away. The poor man has some demons now.

Anonymous said...

I see Chuck Connolly isn't a popular topic with people. I think it's cool that you are telling his story, he is the patron saint of struggling artists every where.

Anonymous said...

I heard this guy pissed off everyone he met and was hated because he was such an egotistical maniac. There was a big article about him in the Post Gazette last year. I want to see the HBO show now.

Cassie Kay said...

I'd rather never know success than to have it and lose it. Living in the past could make a person go crazy.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Cassie Kay. Worse to have it and lose it than to never know.

The Hemingway reference was clever.

Anonymous said...

First of all people have success in their own ways. Jim, you may NOT be known all over the world but you've INSPIRED people not only with your art but also as a musician and your positve insights about LIFE. That's one reason why we think people visit your blog.

As for Connolly...we relly don't know who he is but from what you've said we think that having SUCCESS is not a bad thing but you always have to remember where you came from because you NEVER KNOW when it will all END. Success is kind of like LoVe...it's better to have loved and lost than not at all even if it's for just a little WhIlE. These are just RaNdOm thoughts from SpIt FiRe and LBR... Hope everyone is having a GrEaT weekend...

Tohida's art said...

good luckto u,I love ur paintings

Jeff said...

Just wanted to let you know that the DVD of the film about Chuck Connelly is now available on DVD. It is a bit longer version of what was on HBO and the DVD also has a 30-minutes-long extra feature of Chuck trying to discuss his work (hilarious!). Just check it out at the film's website www.theartoffailure.com