Sunday, December 7, 2008

More on Picasso

I love the Picasso quote from Friday's post. I used to have that in a place where I could see it every day. Speaking of Picasso- it seems as though there are an equal amount of people that love his work as there are that dislike his art.

For those of you who don't like his work, here's something to consider: since the invention of the camera, artists were no longer required to produce portraits and visual records for history sake. Artists could explore and re-interpret their subject.

So do you think that Picasso would have made a greater contribution if he simply painted apples, dogs and people realistically, making them look like photographs? He could, by the way, he had the ability to paint and draw realistically. He chose to paint in the style that made him famous because he felt that it was a better representation of the world we live in. He decided that it was better to paint what was behind a person's face rather than what was in front of it. I agree and I am so glad he decided to paint more than the obvious. Afterall, what if Elvis, Jimi Hendrix, the Beatles, Andy Warhol, Edgar Alan Poe, The Sex Pistols, Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson (this list can go on for ever) all decided that they wanted to be like everyone else?

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great way to explain Picasso Mr. Wodarek. I wish you would have taught my art history class at Penn State. I love your new art.

Anonymous said...

J-Bones, you are a guru.