Sunday, April 26, 2009

Computers, astronauts and type design

It's been several days since I've posted , but I'm back now. Actually, I just needed a few days away from the computer. We have become so dependent on computers -it has really changed the way we live and communicate. I needed to unplug for a few days.

I was watching television this morning (which I don't do that often) and I saw a commercial that made me laugh. There were two astronauts cruising around on the moon in one of their moon cars (I'm sure there's a technical name for those) and they are cranking out the song "Jump Around" by Cyprus Hill, bouncing in their seats. I don't think I will ever grow tired of that song! Anyway, after break dancing and rock collecting, they go back to their car to see that the tires had been stolen. A clever way to advertise tires!

That had me thinking about all of the commercial art and advertising work I have done over the years (that's how artists prostitute their talents, by the way). I never had the opportunity to direct a t.v. commercial. That's something I would like to try one of these days. It just looks like a fun venture.

Speaking of commercial art, I just discovered an artist that I just love. Cassandra, my designer friend, stopped in to visit me last week. She wanted me to look at work by an artist named Si Scott. He's a graphic designer from the UK that specializes in typography design. You have to see his work. Website: http://www.siscottdesign.com/.

The line quality is energetic and elegant at the same time, they are just beautiful drawings. Viewing his work makes me want to get out a sketch pad and draw. Go take a look, I bet you'll like what you see.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Ciao!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Si Scott is sick. My man is off the hook!

Rae said...

besselThese are great. Type is such a basic element in our lives, yet so beautiful.

Rae said...

Oops! Somehow the word code appeared at the front of my message. Sorry!

T-Rex said...

I really like this artist's work. I never thought of type as art before, but these are so cool. I am amazed at how artists can show you the ordinary in an extraordinary way.