Monday, February 9, 2009

Artist Arrested

Shepard Fairey was arrested Friday evening on his way to the opening of his solo show at the Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston titled "Supply and Demand".

Who is Shepard Fairey you ask? He's the artist that did the red, white and blue Hope poster for Obama. I actually hated that portrait. I thought it looked like a Communist propaganda poster that Chairman Mao would have used. Now, even though I don't love the Obama portrait (which now hangs in the National Portrait Gallery), I do love Shepard Fairey's art.

You may know of the Obey and Giant designs that appear on t-shirts and posters EVERYWHERE. Very cool images that derived from street art (that's him). It's Fairey's street art that got him into trouble actually. He was arrested for his graffiti and unsanctioned public mural art.

I have a feeling this will make him a star. What do you think? Nothing like a high profile arrest to really get your career moving. Anyway, I do love his art. Check him out online. I don't agree with the graffiti though- as artists, aren't we above vandalism?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm into graffiti, but his makes me think twice about it. I just read an article from the AP about a lawsuit that they're in with him about his use of the image they had originally printed that he turned into the iconic image. http://www.ap.org/pages/about/pressreleases/pr_020409a.html

Anonymous said...

Vandalism = Vandal

Anonymous said...

I really like the OBEY artworks. I read the article that Cassandra offered. This guy seems like an asshole. He is ripping off fellow artists. I don't think I'm a fan of his work anymore now that I'm learning more about him.