Saturday, January 16, 2010

Best Art Music

I had an interesting conversation today with another artist: what is the best music to listen to while doing art? Every artist will have a different answer, BUT- it's interesting to know that every artist I know listens to music while working. It makes sense, it creates the mood, it creates the atmosphere.

My usual set up: music, incense, red wine, solitude. I don't like having people around me when I'm doing artwork. I like my space and my privacy. The last thing I want is someone looking over my shoulder and making a judgement while a piece is in progress. There's nothing more distracting than another human being while you are trying to do artwork... seriously.

Okay- best music? I'll give you my choices. Your best music choices will be very different. While drawing and painting I am usually listening to Techno or Trance cds. Many times I do listen to specific artists. Those are The Smiths, Kate Bush, Madonna and The Pixies. Those are the cds that recreate that art school atmosphere for me. I remember those cds playing while painting all night. Those were the cds playing while I cleaned my brushes while watching the sunrise.

I'm sure everyone has their own favorites. I know Micheal Fratangelo listens to the Beatles and Dylan. Chris Panza listens to classic tracks. What are you listening to?

Have a great night.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I listen to the shuffle mix on my ipod these days-
I plug it in to 2 speakers.
From Dylan, John Lennon, Mozart, Rave/trance to the History of Hip Hop.

I need absolute solitude as well.

Cassie Kay said...

Interesting thought! Right now I'm really into French artists Camille and Emilie Simon, which are surprisingly inspiring even without understanding the lyrics. Also on my playlist are Feist,The Beatles, The Moulin Rouge Soundtrack, and Wilco. I enjoy putting single songs on repeat until I can't stand to listen to them anymore :)

Art Girl said...

Radiohead, My Chemical Romance, Cold Play, Wilco and bands without record contracts.

Good idea for a post- I liked reading and participating!

Antonella Mason said...

I believe everyone has already its own music inside while creating..; however, there is the need of a specific sound...in a specific moment in the magic of art making. I noticed that every time I have worked very fast and expressionistic (as my art is for the 99% of the time--this is me by the way!--I had the need of some kind of 'strong' sound, something like ethnic music (perhaps while painting ethnic portraits)..I love the strengh od the sound but over all the clean and sharp voice of the notes,...and like tha, my brush runs by itseld shapr and clean at the same time, in the same way...Ence, when I do a study piece, when I concentrate on light, value and shape...I need a more intimate and inner music: jazz, classic...opera. More I should and coul say but this is my contribution for this blog today. happy New Year James..and soon, finally, you will be able to admire my new work on my (soon to be) new website. I am now in Italy watching our masters, to recall and remember where my very inner soul comes alive. best to you James. Antonella Mason.

Antonella Mason said...

I apologize for the mistakes due to my always running nature...and by the way, I am listening to Afro-Cuban Jazz right now! No patience James!

Antonella Mason said...

I apologize for the mistakes due to my always running nature...and by the way, I am listening to Afro-Cuban Jazz right now! No patience James!

Unknown said...

I usually listen to a shuffle depending on my mood, going between: lily allen, kate nash, the kooks, adele, feist -AND- mia, goldfrapp, fannypack... it's the mix of chill and upbeat music that's going to keep me in the same spot for more than a few hours.

-cassandra

James Wodarek said...

Ah! I love it- I love the responses. As you all know, that moment of creating art is so intimate... music is too powerful to be left to chance. Thanks everyone for leaving a post.

Cassie- I love the new pic.
Zucco- you left your post on the wrong page! It's a great answer though!
Antonella- Great to hear from you. I wish I was in Italy now. How I love Florence...
Mike-Glad you found your way back here- we're overdue for beers, I know.
Cassandra- I hope all is well in NYC and you are beginning to conquer the city. Btw, Antonella is from NYC as well.

Good night! Buona Notte!